Shadowrun, Fifth Edition free preview available NOW!

Shadowrun 5 Logo with Text

All right, you heard the announcement. You’ve seen the video. You’ve read some of the development blogs we’ve posted. You want more. You want to see what Shadowrun, Fifth Edition is going to look like, you want to read some of the text, you want to see some of the art we’ve been talking about. And you want it now, and you want it free.

Well, who can blame you? Fortunately, we’ve got just what you want! A free preview of Shadowrun, Fifth Edition is available now! Check out some short fiction, some art, and the skyline of Tenochtitlan! You can get the PDF at the Battleshop or at DriveThruRPG.

One very important note: We’re still adding corrections and proofing notes, so this PDF is the pre-proof edition. Page references, typos, and other matters will be corrected before the final release.

With that said, go check out that PDF! Enjoy!

Say, did you notice that the file is called “Preview #1″? I wonder if there will be more …

11 Comments

1. Wizard
    Posted April 30, 2013 at 7:49 am | Permalink

The layout looks great! Pleasing to the eye, yet still readable.

2. Mara
    Posted April 30, 2013 at 9:39 am | Permalink

So..I am curious: are we going to be having colour plates in the middle of SR5 like we used to have in SR2?

• jhardy
      Posted May 3, 2013 at 8:15 pm | Permalink

We’re going to have an all-color book, like the Twentieth Anniversary Edition of Shadowrun.

• John Carrington
        Posted May 6, 2013 at 6:15 pm | Permalink

@Jason – any info whether you will be adoption full color for the entire 5e product line?

3. Posted April 30, 2013 at 6:56 pm | Permalink

The city is Tenochtitlán ?

A logo is “Dassult tech”, it should not be “Dassault tech” ?

4. SwiftOne
    Posted May 1, 2013 at 1:43 am | Permalink

I was _really_ disappointed by this preview – this is a couple of vignettes and some art. That would have been awesome if that was what I was expecting, but I expected /content/. I should have read this post more closely, but what I was was “preview” “free” “now”, and I was downloading. The preview was 18 pages so I thought “oh, select pages, that’s still cool”. Then I saw a note saying that page XX and similar erroneous references would be fixed later. Fine, fine, manage expectations. Artwork – not Seattle..is it? Then I see a fiction bit. I’ll come back to that, move on…and I see another… Some more artwork.

And then it’s over.

No table of contents, not a single page of rules. Just a disappointed player :(

Hopefully Preview #2 will be more what I was looking for.

• HeatherHaks
      Posted May 2, 2013 at 12:45 pm | Permalink

Wow, SwiftOne. Are you really upset because you had unreasonable expectations? Why, at this point, would they be giving you rules content? Also, why are you upset at them because you failed to read the post? It says specifically it is mostly fluff.

5. John Carrington
    Posted May 1, 2013 at 6:04 am | Permalink

Very nice to see the preview (looking forward to more), however, all color and layout are washed out and very dark when viewed using an iPhone and iPad. Hope this issue will be addressed for future previews and the final releases.

6. kaeln
    Posted May 12, 2013 at 10:36 am | Permalink

Nice preview, seems like a neat layout. However I am not too sure about printing white text on dark background, seems exhausting to the eyes.

7. Posted May 12, 2013 at 9:20 pm | Permalink

What city is this? Seattle ? Tenochtitlán ?

• GeorgeWill
      Posted May 23, 2013 at 8:06 pm | Permalink

It appears that the story provided in Preview #1 is taking place in Seattle (see dialogue on page 10: “You ain’t back in your precious Portland. You gotta earn your nuyen in Seattle, kid.”). However, there appears to be a Seattle Boxed Set in the works and a source book titled “Splintered State”, which causes me to wonder what is happening in Seattle and across the awakened world in North, Central, and South America.

So far, I am really excited and cannot wait to get my hands on a copy on the 5th Edition. However, I am starting to wonder what is the purpose and benefit of the Shadowrun Introductory Box Set: Does it allow you to play the game without buying the SR 5E Core Book and Does it provide any information that is not included in the SR 5E Core Book?